Monday, May 21, 2012

It's about sound, it's about sound, it's about sound

When people ask me how someone plays that I have only heard on a keyboard:
I must say with all honesty, "I knoweth not.  For thy keyboard is programmed with thy preset
sampling of the touch of another." (A necessary evil, I know- for we must work.)

But - Touch, Sound, Rhythm- number 1! and PHRASING.
notes 2nd.

Jaki Byard=touch and sound
Roy Haynes=touch and sound

Every musician I know and love= touch and sound..soft, loud, in between....

Please don't forget: dynamics.

Touch and sound. Some on youtube are giving lessons devoid of sound and phra sing.
All about mechanics- scales and stuff.  STUFF.

STUFF is necessary and good. But it needs to come with a great sound and feeling. Otherwise, it can sound much more like typing than music.


No comments:

Post a Comment